Thursday, February 4, 2016

Community Column by Don Butt (February 2016)

Town of Mono, ON (Don Butt) I have had some interesting things happen to me on the road recently (and scary). The other day I was traveling on No.10 north and wanted to move over to the left lane as my turn was coming up. I put on my left signal for about 300 meters and checked my left mirror very carefully. No one for a great distance! Still watching the left mirror after a quick check to my rear, I started to change lanes. A loud horn blast warned me and I saw a car right alongside. Where did he come from? From right behind me and coming up so fast that I didn’t see him and he came alongside even though my signals had been on for a great distance. He evidently didn’t wish me to change lanes! Thanks!!

Another occasion I was sitting in line waiting to turn left off the bypass . The light was red for us and there were about 5 cars in the line. A driver came up in the through lanes, passed us all, turned left at the light (still red) and ducked between cars coming south and proceeded across the side street! God help me! I think I will consider giving up my license next year.

One thing that Mono Community Policing was concerned about was the fact that many people were not aware we existed or what we did. With a great deal of help from the staff at Mono Municipal Office we put together a synopsis of our committee and are having it sent out with the tax bills, so that every household gets the info. We welcome feedback and there is provision for this on our web site. Another happening that drives me crazy is at our local grocery store. There is a crosswalk marked at the entrance and often a driver will stop just at it to drop off a passenger and then move on to park. Half the drivers coming in will pull out and pass the standing car without being able to see customers leaving the store. Someone will be hit there I’m sure. Couldn’t you wait one minute and follow the standing car safely?

Safety Tip
Watch for drifting snow in open areas. Anticipate icy conditions. (this tip comes to you from Doug Anette and the Skid Control School at Oakville, ON) www.skidcontrolschool.com

Phone Nos. (a list of valuable numbers to have)
For all emergencies – 911
To report non emergency incidents or bad drivers 1-800-310-1122
Or by cell phone only *677

Road Watch
To report unsafe driving behaviour contact OPP Communications Centre:
*OPP (*677) on your Cell or
1-888-310-1122 on your Landline.
If you prefer a paper form, our forms are available at Mono Plaza and OPP at Primrose. Please use them, the life you may save could be your own or a loved one.

Don Butt is currently the Public Relations and Media Contact for the Mono Community Policing Committee. If you would like more information on anything covered in Don’s Column or would like to see a topic of public interest or safety covered; post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment