Dufferin County, ON (OPP - Dufferin Detachment) – Dufferin OPP remind citizens that summer months are time when Paving and Home Renovation Scams occur as criminals prey on unsuspecting consumer.
Here are a few simple steps when getting home renovations
- Always read over thoroughly all written contracts before signing them. Get a family member to review them.
- Get references from other customers to ensure quality of the work
- Do some research before you pay for product or service
- Thoroughly understand what product or service you are purchasing, the process any guarantees and complaint process if you do not receive the product or service you paid for.
- Inspect all work prior to making payment and ensure work has been completed properly and that the service you received was what you had paid for in your business contract.
- Legitimate business people will be happy to provide you with information on their services
- Always be careful about providing confidential personal information especially banking and credit card details unless you are certain that the company is legitimate.
For other helpful tips check out the OPP website at www.opp.ca