Monday, April 22, 2013
OPP Concludes its Distracted Driving Campaign
The truth is that the vast majority of drivers over-estimate their skills behind the wheel and under-estimate the risk associated with distracted driving. They believe that because they’ve done it numerous times before and nothing bad has happened that nothing bad will happen.
“That simply is not the case” says Deputy Commissioner Larry Beechey, Provincial Commander of the Traffic Safety and Operational Support. Of the 67 persons killed in fatal vehicle collisions that occurred in OPP jurisdiction this year, 19 were victims of an inattentive driver. “These families have had their lives changed forever and for what”?
Last week OPP officers laid 2141 distraction-related charges. Commissioner Chris Lewis says, “It’s not about the number of tickets we issue. It’s about saving lives. We’d be far more satisfied if we didn’t have to write any tickets because the offences weren’t being committed, but that’s not what is happening.” However, Commissioner Lewis wants to remind all motorists that enforcement of the distraction legislation is a priority for our people every day and if caught, you can expect to be charged.
The OPP wants to thank the public who participated in the Facebook discussion during the recent Distracted Driving Campaign. Numerous posts recounted examples of distracted driving and the potential for harm from those dangerous behaviors. Visit the OPP Facebook Distracted Driving Campaign to view the comments.